Okay... so I can't really promise that this week has been super, fantastic fun. It has not, in fact, been more fun than a barrel of monkeys. Well I don't think it was anyway. I haven't ever experienced a barrel of monkeys, so I don't know maybe it's less fun that people say. (Speaking of - I sent a news story about an escaped monkey wreaking havoc in a suburb somewhere to a group of some of the people I would classify as most likely to utter "I want a monkey" this week and it was an epic fail. It was the fail sauce. It was very sad.) However, I was instructed by my father to have a better week this week. I do try to make my daddy proud whenever possible so here I am, if nothing else, having a better week than last week.
One of my co-workers walked up to my desk on Monday morning and said "is it going to be a better week for Caitlyn?" I responded by saying "Well, it kind of has to be or I'm toast."
For one thing - my alarm clock has not had to go off at 4:30 am at any point this week. That has to make a week better right? Right. So to make this as much the antithesis of my last post as possible (because apparently lists of things that suck offend my mom and I try to make her proud too - hi, Mom!) here is a list of things that are pretty cool.
q) I'm starting my lists with point q now. It's pretty cool. I'm not telling you why. But I know someone just laughed out loud at me. So there.
2) I get to wear jeans to work tomorrow. My life has sadly gotten to a point where that is pretty cool if you're me.
3) I made some pretty awesome gnocchi for dinner tonight. It tasted gooooood.
4) I exercised twice this week after being lazy for, like three weeks strait. It's pretty cool but, oh my gosh, my body hurts.
5) Laughing out load at your personal email at work - because you know some awesome, hilarious people who send you email.
6) Finding news stories about monkeys. Even if I know a bunch of people who don't appreciate them. (I'm looking at you, Josh. Okay I'm not. I'm looking at my laptop. Which is nowhere near you and I'm not even sure if it's pointing in your general direction. Still.)
7) I've gotten no fewer than three separate and independent compliments on my shoes this week. Two of which were from fully grown men who, by all accounts, have never noticed that people wear shoes, let alone badass shoes. (Yes I was told I was wearing some badass shoes yesterday. It was awesome.)
8) I totally complimented my boss yesterday because I told her about this really bad dream I had on Tuesday where she quit her job and life at work just spiraled into this just terrible place to be and everyone was acting crazy - even the people who normally act mostly sane.
9) Bubble Tea. A large, cold, black tea with passion fruit and raspberry and pearls. Oh my god that was fantastic. I'm actually hoping that I dream about it tonight. That's how good it was.
10) Joe Mauer got his 1,000th hit on Tuesday. Super Awesome.
11) It's officially fall in Minnesota and I get to wear scarves without looking ridiculous again. Fantastico. (That is not a word, but I bet you know what I mean.)
12) I'm knitting myself a new scarf with some just stunning yarn. I plan to take some pictures and throw them up here, so I'm not going to say too much more about it. But I think I might be in love with some yarn. I have a feeling this will be a complicated relationship.
Right so this is where the antithesis thing ends. Because last time I had a list of things that suck and pictures of things that don't. I'm going to stick with the pictures of things that don't suck. Because I don't like to take pictures of things that suck. And I generally think things that suck are situations, which are tough to capture on film without people noticing.
So here are some more lamps that I shot while I was out on my walk a few weeks ago. (I'm not even going to tell you about the typo I just fixed. I need to talk about these photos and go to bed.)
These first two were flanking the doors to an Episcopalian church near Grand Avenue. There was tons of carving and intricacy around the door and all along the facade so I really like the relative simplicity of these.
This set was on either side of the doors of a Lutheran church on Dale Avenue just south of I94. I want to say it's Grace Lutheran church, but I might be making that up. You know, it's not like I drive past it every day on my way home or anything.
These, conversely were very intricate - Particularly at their tops on what was really a fairly simple facade. This second one was more weathered than the first and, though one of the glass panes is broken, was really, really cool looking.
I almost didn't include this one. It's a pretty standard lamp and all that. But the shadow convinced me. (The Shadow knows!) I love how you can see the shadow of that swirled part of the lamp that you can't see on the lamp itself from this angle.
I loved, loved, LOVED the glass in this lamp. The structure itself is cool too, but that glass just makes it. That is just so cool.
Okay - no births to announce today and, as mentioned, this kid needs to get to bed in a big old way. So I'm off. I only have one more thing to add to my list of things that are pretty cool.
r) (still not telling) Earlier this week a guy at work was trying to describe how one of my co-workers and I are pretty good friends. He expressed this by saying "you know, you two are downtown Julie Browns and all." Yep. Downtown Julie Brown. That's me.