Thursday, August 26, 2010

A Day At The Races. No, Seriously.

I swear to God, I didn't know this was going to happen.  See, I started writing my Pygmalion post in my head on the day we had our little party.  (That would be the 7th of August, for those of you playing at home.)  I totally knew what I wanted to name it because well, I enjoy attempting to be clever and I knew at least my mom would get the joke.  (And I know she's one of my limited readers so I may as well play to the crowd I have.)

At that point in time I had absolutely no idea that roughly a week later (and indeed, before I actually WROTE my Pygmalion post - even for the first time) Steve would turn to me and say something along the lines of "hey, you know what would be fun for my birthday?  Going to Canterbury and seeing the horses." I had to agree with him, that would be fun for his birthday.  And thus, last Sunday, we spent the day at the races.

We are not what you'd call "educated betters."  We tend to bet on the horse we feel has the coolest name.  We were once at Canterbury for the day and were totally psyched to bet on a horse named "Freckles O'Brian" only to lose him to a late scratch.  My favorite on Sunday was a horse named "Case in Point."  How do you not bet on a horse named Case in Point?  I mean, come on.  (He won us some money too, so that was pretty cool.)  Steve's parents, who joined us for the day, were a bit more scientific with their bets.  Tracking jockeys and following the odds and all kinds of stuff that's way less fun than picking the best name.  Of course, Steve's mom won in something like 6 of 8 races and his dad hit a trifecta in one race so theirs was probably a better plan.

Come to think of it, that kind of makes me feel like:
Get it?  That's a little horse humor for you there.  You have to admit though, as far as horses asses go, this one is awfully pretty.

Read More:


Regardless of the profitability (or lack thereof) of our betting strategy, we had a fun time out watching the horses and cheering on our picks (even when they were in last) and all around enjoying the races.



He was certainly happy.  Of course, he had just won so there was good reason.

It was incredibly hot out on Sunday so we were VERY happy to have a table inside in the air conditioning.  And we felt very bad for the horses having to run in the heat, but we bet on them anyway.

And being inside sometimes lead to funny lines (edges of panes of glass) in my pictures.  Alas, I prefer wonky* pictures to heatstroke.  I don't like to suffer for my "art," which is one of the many reasons why the quotes are there.


Run! Run! Run!  No, run faster!  (My cheering isn't always very creative.  It's frequently pretty obviously.  Even while watching baseball I'm more likely to say something like "Um, it would be nice if you got a hit now.")


That horse was at the front.  He won.  Like, a lot.  Pretty sure, based on the results, that that race wasn't fair.  I may only think that because that horse was not the one I bet on.



Gotta say, I kind of think that's a pretty cool picture.  

Anyhoodle**, (yep I just went with that one...) we had a lovely day out watching the horses.  And being inside for the vast majority of the day, we also got to skip out on the... odor of the horses for the most part, which I have to say, was kind of nice.  I think Steve had a happy birthday, he said he did so I'll take his word for it.


He even smiled for a picture!  What a guy.  And let's face it, we kind of look adorable don't we?  All unintentionally match-y.  Awwww.

Anyway I have a knitting project that, much like Smokey and/or the Bandit, has a long way to go and a short time to get there.  I think I'll turn my attentions to that for awhile before bed.  (Pictures will be provided - because I'm kind of proud of it - after it's finished.)


* Spellcheck is not happy with "wonky" it doesn't even have suggestions for me.
** Spellcheck believes I should change this to "ungodly" - that's exactly what I was going for!





No comments:

Post a Comment